Wednesday 3 September 2014

R.I.P Festival Season 2014

We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of the summer season. This weekend brings Bestival but also brings the end, the goodbye to festival season 2014. There's been some amazing sets (here's looking at you Miss Dolly) and there's been some frankly disappointing sets (ahem, Arctic Monkeys...) and there's been everything in between! A musical roller-coaster of a summer, one might say. It's a tough time, but we gotta let it go (and start planning for 2015, obvs).
My festival experience this year came from Glastonbury; here's some fabulously awful pictures to commemorate the weekend...




Hold up! Let's not get too emotional already, it's not over yet! To prove it, here my top picks of bestival! There's one last dance left...

The main event- I can't tell you enough and I'm sure you can tell me right back that the headline acts are bloody brill! I can't pick a top one between them. Outkast. Outkast!! There are no words. Then Foals, who are just so fabulous. I caught a bit of their set at Reading last year and want more, so much more. Followed by the oh so chic, Chic. (I couldn't not). It's the perfect way to dance your evening away. It's just perfect okay!? I actually can't pick between these three so they share a spot. They're all headliners for a reason.
Have a song from each to get you in the mood (or realise what you're missing out on).
2003 realness: Outkast- Roses
Energetic and emphatic: Foals- Inhaler
Do as you're told: Chic- Everybody Dance

The brilliantly brilliant Indiana is definitely on my radar. I keep hearing her on the radio and I'm not complaining. Her music is right up my street, her voice is hauntingly gorgeous and she just seems proper cool, like she'd be able to take you to the best unknown bars in town. Cool or no cool, her songs are worth a listen. Another artist I reckon will be around a lot more next year, so if you catch her at Bestival you can be one of those dicks that let everybody know you've seen her before she went mainstream. Why not?
Indiana- Mess Around

Although I won't be there this weekend I do have tickets to see the (probably) lovely Mø. I say probably because I've never actually met the woman so I can't determine if she likes cats or not. You never know. 'No Mythologies to Follow' has been the soundtrack to my summer, on repeat any time a little sunshine has come peeping through. I'm desperate to her live, so her date at Shephard's Bush couldn't come sooner! Catch her at Bestival first to get your dance on. Yaaas.
Mø- Slow Love

There are so many other acts I'd have to see, including ones I've mentioned for other festivals (Chvrches, SBTRKT, Sam Smith, Temples et cetera), it's such a ruddy good line up. If I had a spare 200 quid I'd be there in a shot. But I don't have a spare 200 quid, so I'll have to just imagine how good it is. I once went to a Rob Da Bank curated halloween party in Peckham and it was one of the best nights of my life (Rave vs. Hoedown, I can't make that up). So I imagine it's like that one night, spread over an entire weekend. Sighs. 
If you are lucky enough to be travelling to the good ol' Isle of Wight to go to Bestival, and you're not 100% sure of what to pack, check back to my post on Festival sort-of-essentials. It's sort of helpful...
So now we part ways with festivals for another year, it's been fun. Don't stop dancing though! Because I said so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment