Saturday 6 June 2015

Accidentally Anarchic

(Painting by Ant Carver, live at GFW)

During the Friday night briefing before GFW, my manager mentioned Erin O'Connor. The name found itself scribbled down in my trusty, yet difficult, notepad (always listen to the flatmate when they tell you to pick the practical one, not the pretty one) with 'google her' written right next to it. The name felt familiar but, with so many things to remember and to think about, my mind was already working overdrive. My knowledge of models unfortunately wasn't a priority. So I googled her. Erin O'Connor; British model and writer and television personality and everything in between. Oh, that Erin O'Connor? Erin O'Connor the icon. Cue the freaking out.

As it turns out, not too many people my age recognise the name either. (That's not to say they don't know who she is.) When I mentioned to my flatmates that I'd be attending a conversation between her and Hilary Alexander I received only a few nods with a distinct lack of enthusiasm. The same lack of enthusiasm they threw at me when I excitedly shoved my phone towards them because she'd favourited one of my tweets. (The only thing they truly get excited about these days is pizza so I don't feel too offended.)


I'll pick up that name I just dropped.
____

Erin's eyes rolled within seconds of the dreaded 'who are you wearing?' Hilary called it 'The Forensic Investigation' but without the red carpet beneath them the question felt irrelevant and trivial. However, curiosity quelled, she was wearing a mixture of Dior, Topshop and Marc Jacobs. Obviously. (As a poor student of a size that none of the brands will ever stock, it was nice to know my wardrobe housed two of those brands regardless. I own two thirds of a model's outfit, darlin'.)

(Photo Credit: @rosemarypitts www.gfw.org.uk/blog)

Erin quickly urged the conversation into new, more appropriate territory; the start of her career. There was something endlessly comforting in her beginning. After being scouted at The Clothes Show in the 90s, she moved to 'the big smog' that is London. The agency only paid her £40 a week and she used over half to travel to jobs, leaving her eating tinned beans for the most part. I now feel much less horrific and much more fab eating beans from the tin. The times in university I spent wondering if this is the rest of my life can now be defined as my beginning too -danke Erin!

With the high-street championing the return of all things 90s recently, chokers and all that jazz, it was interesting to hear an account of actually living through it. (Fully aware I lived through the 90s as well, but a six year old's account of their dungarees is much less interesting, I promise.) Despite the alternative grunge trends that have transcended the decade, the 90s was much more about achieving 'perfection' or what the fashion industry deemed perfect. That was what allowed her to start out, not being the idea of perfection, being the tall lanky girl with the room-commanding nose. 'I guess I was accidentally anarchic' she said. Joking that she 'had the undercut before undercuts were cool.' So, to all those rocking the 90s throwback, you have this woman to look up to.

(Photo Credit: Stefania Porcu www.gfw.org.uk)


Self-Acceptance was, and still is, a big part of her journey, Erin confessed. The nose that makes her instantly recognisable was something she so desperately wanted rid of as a teenager. The nose would command the room and she admitted it was something she wasn't ready for. 'I wasn't ready to be powerful and dominant.'

Erin thanked all the haters who pushed her to be defiant about her nose. She 'wasn't going to change because someone was uncomfortable.' It was the criticism she faced that forced her to realise it. Self-acceptance isn't easy and definitely isn't definite and Erin knows this all too well. The supermodel, who had spent her life relying on her body, felt challenged by the changes that came with pregnancy. However, her baby boy gave her the chance to view life differently, from a new perspective and she soon learnt to love her body in a new way.

The crowd and I fell in love with Erin as she spoke about openly and candidly about motherhood, her favourite designers to work with and gave advice on getting into the fashion industry and making sure you bloomin' well stay there. All these things I will eventually divulge with you, darling reader, but for now I must go and feebly attempt to braid my hair like Erin, because she's my new idol.







No comments:

Post a Comment