Monday 18 August 2014

Reading and Leeds: My Pick

Crack out ya' wellies folks, it's Reading and Leeds!! I'm gutted, so totally gutted. For the first time in four years I won't be at Reading Festival, putting my drunken stamp on the place. (I did Glastonbury instead this year which was possibly the greatest experience of my life, but I will miss my little baby, Reading Fest.) Gotta love what you know. So to make up for my lack of Reading and my gift to you, here's my fantasy picks of this year's line up. Make sure you miss nothing!

Friday:
After setting up on Wednesday and hanging like crazy on Thursday, Friday is always super super exciting. First music of the weekend! This year, (If I was there) you would definitely find me chilling and dancing my way through the day in the NME tent. It's a fab line up and here's why...

SBTRKT- Super cool, chill dance vibes with amazing guest vocals from Sampha and Jessie Ware. From house party to festival, you will be definitely be dancing. Often sampled on Made in Chelsea if you're wondering "Where have I heard this before!?" Listen below:


Palma Violets- 'I wanna be your best friend, I don't want you to be my girl...' slightly indie edged, super cool, Brit band are fab for having a bit of a bop about to. Easy lyrics to pick up too. They played the NME tent in 2013 and now they headline the Festival Republic stage, if Queens of Stone Age aren't your thing and you're looking for something new, have a looksy at these guys;

Metronomy- Saving the best 'til last on the Friday line up, this band is my ultimate fave and perhaps what I'm most upset about missing. I caught them at my first ever festival, LoveBox, back in 2011 and have been in love ever since. Their latest album 'Love Letters' brings laid back 60s vibes and translates amazingly live on stage. After seeing them at Glasto this year, I promise it's a bloody good dancey set. Go and have the most fun ever. You'll probably recognise their hit 'The Look' from the Barclays ad. and loads of BBC 3 programs, wouldn't you know... Listen below to two of their fabulous hits;

Saturday
There's honestly so much going on on the Saturday of Reading, no doubt you probably went 'too hard' on the Friday night and are possibly dying... But power through because there's so much to see and hear and dance to!! Swap your morning voddy for a Berocca and you'll be fine... Let's hope you don't have a headache because it's a heavy day...

Royal Blood- Radio one and festivals of the summer have plugged this band 100%. So it's worth going to see the hype. Plus then you can be one of those people who go around saying 'I saw them before they were big'... I never do that, promise... (lies). If you're looking for that heavier sound I'd recommend Pulled Apart By Horses who are wonderful Reading Festival veterans. Who doesn't want to listen to a song entitled 'I punched a Lion in the Throat'? Nobody! That's who... 
Here's a Royal Blood track:

CHVRCHES- I've been trying to see this band live for the past two years and I miss them every time. They are forever clashing with other important things, this year no different. Judging from the line up they'd be on at the same time as either Jake Bugg or Imagine Dragons (both of which I highly recommend!!!) but as I've seen them both before it would finally be Chvrches' time to shine! Get yo' dance on:

Arctic Monkeys- How could I not? Previous Glasto headliners and just super mega cool sounding group will have you chanting/singing/dancing/loving life all night. They could come out rack off their hits and leave and it'd be a bloody great show, throw in some of that AM realness and we're onto a winner. You gotta do it guys. I saw them in London last year and they were uh-ma-zing. Promise.

Sunday
You're hungry, tired, achey and probably haven't poo'ed in four days, but you know what? You're loving life all the same!! Yaaaas. Last music day, always totes emosh. Here's what I'd make my way to see:

Jungle- You've heard me rave about them before, hear me rave about them again, then go and rave to them yourself. I'm dying and desperate to see these guys live, so beat me to the punch and check 'em out early Sunday. 
The Kooks- I'd sort of forgotten about them, I must admit. I'd told myself I like them and hurried down to their secret set at Glasto this year. It was then that I realised how many hits these guys have! Like 'em or not you'll certainly be able to sing along. Gather your pals around and sing 'She Moves in Her Own Way' in each others arms. Perfect festival moment... Prepare for it to be really busy. Here's their new single live from when Glastonbury, lovely:
Disclosure- We saw these guys last year at Reading and apart from grumbling at how famous they were for kids and having a whole pint of warm urine thrown at me, I really bloody enjoyed it. It'll be difficult to summon that last leg of energy from the weekend, but try. It'll be totally worth it. The NME tent will be filled with youngens' and 'lads' being annoying but focus on the task at hand; DANCE.


So there we have it folks, there's my top picks of the weekend and a little food for thought. This week I plan to also bring you my list of second-wave essentials and my Creamfield picks. Yayyyyy so much good stuff happening. So have lots of super fun at Reading/Leeds. Whoever you dance to, just make sure you're dancing. Because I said so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment