Monday 18 August 2014

The Metaphorical Water Cooler iii

It's a bleak time at the moment. There's some really bloody awful stuff happening in the world, so much tragedy, death and injustice. It makes me doubt myself and my writing. There's so many more important things to say rather than what I am saying, so much more than what I can chat to you about over a blog. So I just want you to understand that I realise that there's a bigger picture, and that the news I bring is nothing in the grand scheme of the horrors going on right now. All you have to do is search Gaza or Ferguson on google and realise the extent of problems we and so many are facing. Please, please read up on it and/or comment with useful articles and opinions below because I'm always interested in learning new perspectives.

But because this is what I know, here is some of my top bits of entertainment/media news and favourites this week, a little more light hearted in these dark times. The sort of stuff we'd perhaps chat about around the metaphorical water cooler in the metaphorical office, no?



My first favourite thing to put in my ears is this- Sam Smith's 'In The Lonely Hour'. I absolutely realise how late to the party I am, I do, I do. Guess I kinda wasn't in the right frame of mind to really connect to the album beforehand. Released in June, this album really is perfect to get a little totes emotional with. It's honestly a beautiful piece of work. My top tracks from the album are 'Not In That Way', 'I've Told You Now' and 'Lay Me Down'. Take from that what you will. If you haven't already (and you probably have) please go and listen to this little beauty.


My TV pick this week is Made In Chelsea in New York. What's better than watching how the other half live (real or no real) but watching how the other half live in a place that's probably superior to anywhere else in the world!!! J'adore the big apple (in Mark Francis' voice). We tuned in this week to find out why Jamie was crying at little ex-Binky-love Alex- why was Jamie crying!? What have you done now Alex!? I was hoping he'd slept with Jamie's mum, the crafty little bugger. No such luck. Keep your little non-Chelsea eyes on the show every Sunday at 9pm, to hear such fabulous lines such as "She's so cold, she's frozen!". Inspired, truly inspired... Here are the lovely lot, not being a nuisance or throwing drinks over each other at the top of the Empire State Building.  Pretty boring really...






Not sure if it classes as entertainment but it is entertaining as heck- foods shaped as non-food things. My first encounter was with a post floating around Tumblr of lego shaped chocolate, which is 100% fabulous, no doubts at all. Have fun AND eat chocolate!! Uh-maze-ing. Chocolate and Lego, at the same time. Double amazing. It comes from the magical mind of designer Akihiro Mizzuuchi and hopefully into the stomach of little ol' me. What a time to be alive!




Secondly was this maybe less fabulous but no less entertaining article I found about pears shaped like babies. I stare both in wonder and in horror at the little things. I'm not a massive fan of pears anyways, so this doesn't really make me feel any better about them. Can't deny it's clever. I shall forever more stay in wonder at how they do it...








This week I come with two equally brilliant but very different film recommendations. I finally got round to seeing The Lego Movie (Yaaaas), it was so so so good. I was initially put off because it was all cartoony and lego but it's actually super impressive. Everything's Lego! Like, everything!!! Plus although it's a child's film there's plenty of adult humour to keep you entertained. Love it. Would totally recommend for anyone who needs a but of light, laughter or child-like splendour in their lives.



My second recommendation is right at the other end of the cinematic spectrum; Short Term Twelve. Directed by Destin Daniel Cretton and released in 2013, this film needs to be shown to everyone. Everyone and anyone with a heart. Sighs... Following the story of a foster-care facility for teenagers, it really does just tug at the ol' heartstrings. Beautifully shot and written, I cannot recommend this enough. If you fancy a little cry, (a more hopeful, than sad cry) have a look at this one currently 99p rental on iTunes. Or it's on Netflix, if you're one of those people... (I sure am).


Finally, I couldn't really round up last weeks entertainment news without mentioning the tragic passing of actor, comedian and well-loved human Robin Williams. It is the passing of a generation's childhood, their films and laughter. So much has been said that means more than anything I could write up in words. My thoughts are with his family.



No comments:

Post a Comment